The blueEngine is a high scalable and high performant game engine. It includes several modules such as support for sound, its own scripting engine and a network module. The blueEngine uses the DirectX 9.0 API and was fully developed with the MinGW compiler. Since the engine is still under development we won’t follow the regular way and provide this engine as open-source but work on it as a base for some upcoming games in the pipe.
- BSP level rendering (PVS, frustum-culling)
- octree rendering
- shader model 2_0 and 3_0 support (native shaders and HLSL)
- shadow volume rendering for real-time shadows
- static models (LOD) supporting the formats MS X-File, 3DS, ASE
- skinned mesh (skeletal animation) supporting the formats MS X-File, Cal3D
- terrain rendering (LOD)
- 3D sound output
- supporting WAVE, OGG and MP3 files
- client-server architecture
- ragdoll for Cal3D und X-File skinned mesh
- full-scene collision for all scene objects like level and models
- supporting XML, Lua and an own script file format
- full integration of all components
- KI. Already designed a concept for path finding in bsp-trees
The blueEngine uses the following 3rd party software or tools.
- Newton game dynamics
- ogg vorbis sdk (MinGW version available here)
- Direct90.DevPak (MinGW version available here)
- Doxygen source code documentation
Q: What is the blueEngine?
A: The blueEngine is a high scalable, high perfromant game engine. It’s written in C++ using the DirectX graphic api.
Q: Is the engine available for public use?
A: No, at current the blueEngine will only be used here at G-Productions and will be made available to partners of G-Productions. There are plans to publish a light version of the blueEngine for public use.
Q: It’s a 3D engine right?
A: No. It’s a game engine. The difference to a 3d engine is that the blueEngine consists of a render device, an audio device, a network module and a script engine. A 3d engine instead consists only of a render device for graphics.
Q: Why another game engine?
A: There are a couple of great graphic engines free available on the internet but nothing that meet our needs. So we developed our own.
Q: Is the blueEngine in any way related to the blueTec engine?
A: No not at all. The blueTec engine is a 2d graphic game engine with a basic audio module for people with less knowledge in programming to quickly getting results. The blueEngine is an up-to-date game engine competitive with many free available game engines out there.
These screenshots where made using specular highlight (shader model 2_0) and per pixel light