WinSnake is a nibbles clone created by ZoE from Gringo Productions. Although there are enough nibble clones out there this is kind of different. The most important thing is that WinSnake is configurable. That means that you are able to make custom mazes and provide them to others. Of course this is not the asskickin’ feature of all times, but it makes a lot of fun.
You are able to build custom game packages (game packages are the files containing the edited/custom data) with the WinSnakEd tools. These tools contain a maze editor and a package builder (necessary to build the packages). You are able to change any graphic image of the game (except the special goodies) and to replace any sounds and music with your own. The possibilities of creating new mazes are eternal. Of course you may also specify the design of your maze. Therefore we have created the section WinSnake game packages. If you have build a great maze or even a complete collection and want to provide it to the public contact us. We’ll put your package with screenshots and a short description at the game package section. If you want to exchange information with others about WinSnake editing, the WinSnakEd tools or anything related to WinSnake take a look at our message board. Most probably the best questions and answers are there.
Thanks to DMA for the menu graphic. Since it’s very difficult as an amateur programmer to get some graphic artists for the job, I had luck with this guy. Thanks goes also to RIP for not doing what I should do and spending the time over the net. I would also like to say thanks to the guys who did the music. Since I took all the sounds from samplers I don’t know your names. If you think a track is from you and your name should appear here please contact me and I will put your name right here.
And now get WinSnake and have fun…
DirectX support (DirectX 8.0 or higher required)
multiplayer support, play against others on the same machine.
editable content. Fully editable with the WinSnakEd tools. You will be able to create custom mazes.
fun, fun, fun…
WinSnake system requirements
WinSnake was developed and tested on a AMD K6-2 500 MHz machine. A Trident 3D graphic card and a Terratec DMX sound card completed the system. Due to this low-end system WinSnake should run on every machine. Here we go with the official system requirements:
- IBM compatible pc with at least 400 MHz CPU
- DirectX graphic adapter with at least 4 MB RAM
- a minimum of 32 MB RAM
- at least 15 MByte of free disk space on your hard drive
- a DirectX compliant sound adapter
- Windows 98, Windows 2000 or Windows XP
- DirectX 8.0 or later
WinSnake was tested (worst case) on an AMD K6-2 300 MHz machine with 32 MByte RAM and Windows 98 and it did well. Your system should meet the above system specification to avoid problems.
The WinSnakEd tools are a collection of easy to use WinSnake editing utilities, to create custom mazes
The WinSnakEd tools are currently v 1.0.0
That means that these tools are full functional and official released. Errors shouldn’t occur but most possibly will. If you encounter any bugs please send us a short bug report and if possible the log file created by WinSnakEd. We will fix the bug as soon as possible.
If you have any suggestions, ideas, enhancements or simply some questions about WinSnakEd don’t hesitate to contact us. You can always take a look at the message board, where most answers are to find or simply contact us via email at email@example.com
With WinSnakEd you are able to
- import custom images for background, for the snake and for the maze
- import custom sounds for background music, for eating a goody and for dying
- configure the look of the maze
- create complete game packages with up to 10 mazes per game package
- import media of any size you want as long as you stay within the WinSnake specification. For more details head over the WinSnakEd tec specification
Installing the game packages
After created the game package simply copy the created pkg file into your WinSnakebdata directory. WinSnake will detect the package and provide it in the maze menu. You are now able to select the game package and choose the maze on the left you want to play.
Contributing game packages
You have created game packages and want to provide them to the public? Contact us and we will upload your game package on the WinSnake site. Make some screenshots, include a readme file and you are ready to go.
WinSnakEd tec specification
Here are some important facts, necessary to know for developing
- WinSnake only supports 24 bit bitmaps. You can try 8 bit bitmaps or other image formats as tga, jpg, or anything else. It won’t work
- WinSnake only supports uncompressed WAV files for sound and music. While there are currently also midi tracks in the standard game package you won’t be able to get them work with WinSnake. Be sure to use uncompressed wav files.