I was struggling lately with my first UWP as VS2015 wouldn’t connect to the windows phone 10 emulators. I tried everything, from repairing VS2015 to reinstalling. I stumbled over some posts on Stackoverflow which none really helped. Most suggestions there refer to older versions in mid 2015. We now have a “more-or-less” stable Windows 10 version build 1511 (10586.71) so it was more annoying that all the stuff didn’t work on a fresh installed Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
Here is what helped and it was the only thing that helped. It’s a combination of the information on Stackoverflow and a blog post which helped me so I decided to sum it up. If you want to save yourself some headache try these steps before trying to reinstall your OS or VS or anything else.
- Make sure VS2015 is closed and no instance of an emulator is running, close running Windows Phone instances
- Open Hyper-V and delete all existing emulators in the list
- Navigate to “Virtual Switch Manager”
- Delete the entry “Windows Phone emulator internal switch”
- Apply your changes and close Hyper-V
- Run cmd as admin and enter the following commands:
- In the device manager delete all entries of the Hyper-V network adapters. Just right-click and uninstall.
- Restart your machine
- After opening VS2015 and launching the emulator everything should work. (What I did in addition was to first open a WP8 project and run in emulator and after that a WP10 emulator)
I hope this helps some of you guys since I lost a whole day trying to figure out what’s working and what’s not. There are some good posts from the awesome community over at Stackoverflow which helped me and might also be of interest to you: